Creating Bootable iso for Fedora CD1

David Hoffman dhoffman2004 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 13:46:27 UTC 2005

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:19:07 +0530 (IST), Parameshwara Bhat
<pbhat at ongc.net> wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I want to modify standard linux kernel supplied with Fedora with the option
> CONFIGURE_IDEDISK_STROKE set. I have re-compiled the kernel.( after mounting
> the iso image, copying kernel-source )
>
> Now How do I insert this bzImage back into the iso replacing the 'vmlinuz'
> without affecting the bootability ?

You would have to rebuild the entire CD and then create a new bootable
disc. But your better option is probably to find out about booting
with the standard CD and then instead of doing the regular install,
take advantage of the option to pass arguments to the kernel at boot
time. From the first boot screen there are options at the bottom so
you can add extra arguments to the kernel.

Besides, after you install, you are going to want to upgrade to the
latest version of the kernel anyhow, so you will want to do a full
install and then download the kernel source for the most recent (741)
kernel and then compile it with your new argument (unless you can pass
that argument from grub.conf - and don't need to compile at all.