Bizarre weirdness with del key and GNOME Terminal

Neo ssawgift at 163.com
Mon Jan 24 08:21:18 UTC 2005

D. D. Brierton wrote:

>I really hope someone can help me out with this. I'm running FC3 (clean
>install, not an upgrade) and in my personal account the "Delete" key
>generates a tilde character "~"  in GNOME Terminal. It does *not* do so
>if I log in as root, or if I create a wholly new test account.
>
>What is even weirder is that if I'm logged in (in X via GDM) as me, open
>a GNOME Terminal, and then do "su -" the "Delete" key starts working
>again as I expect it to (i.e. "Backspace" deletes left, and "Delete"
>deletes right), but the minute I "exit" back to being me "Backspace"
>deletes left but "Delete" generates "~".
>
>I have fiddled to no end with GNOME Terminal's preferences, and have
>compared my .bash* files but nothing is presenting itself as an obvious
>candidate for my woes. It's clearly some cruft left over in my home
>directory which I've kept going through backups and keeping it on a
>separate partition for years now, but I have no idea where to look.
>
>Suggestions for strategies for finding the source of the problem would
>be greatly appreciated.
>
>TIA, Darren

DEL key handling sucks in GNOME termial in FC3. If I set it to generate
ASCII DEL in the profile Preference dialog, it actually generates
BACKSPACE. I have filed a bug report in bugzilla, but did not recevied
any update yet. :-(

And more, if I set it to generate ESCAPE sequence, I had problems when
editing command lines in many terminal programs, e.g., FTP programs.
Another :-(