Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Mon Jan 24 15:25:55 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 13:17 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> > My theory is that with only half a gig of ram in this box, tryiung to
> > unpack and install a 600+ megabyte (unpacked size according th=o the
> > screen reports) is doomed to failure.
>
> That is definitely not true,
> as I have installed Fedora-3 from CDs (and from hard disk)
> on machines with 128MB, without any problems.

Installs with 64MB work just fine as well. People are really getting
sold on today's hardware ads too much. While there are some/many tasks
which will eat as much RAM as possible, "only half a gig of ram" is a
statement which does not apply to most/nearly-all mainstream computing.

Even most mainstream users, on top-of-the-line systems, run multiple
programs beautifully on "only a half a gig of ram". I know *my* primary
work machine works perfectly well on 512MB, and I do fairly complex
financial models for a living. So you have 10MB *data files* doing
complex math, plus the attendant mail clients, word processor, web
browser, flight planning, and other programs running, plus the Apache,
PostgreSQL, BIND, and other daemons. All on "only a half a gig".

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>