Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Jan 24 17:14:45 UTC 2005

William Hooper wrote:

>> Both these solutions seem to assume that
>> you are already running an OS on the machine. In my case I had just
>> installed a new hard drive, so there was nothing on the disk.
>
> Neither require an OS, just a filesystem.  IIRC the issue is that you have
> to have either a CD or a NIC and want to do a network install.  I would:
>
> Boot the CD in rescue mode.  Create a small partition (that will be used
> for /boot later).  Copy the install kernel over (initrd.img and vmlinuz
> from the isolinux directory).  Create a grub config file to boot the
> kernel and install grub to the HD.  Reboot and it will ask what kind of
> install you want.
>
> The only difference between doing this and installing another OS first is
> that you have to manually setup the partition and grub.

OK, thanks.
I'll have to think about that.

I did actually try something equivalent,
using tomsrtbt and LILO
(my version of tomsrtbt did not have grub on it,
I don't know if more recent versions do),
but the LILO didn't seem to "take",
quite probably due to an error on my part.

But I'm not quite clear with your method
how I would transfer the material to the hard disk.
(Remember that I only have one PCMCIA slot,
which I would be using for the Fedora Rescue CD.)
As far as I could see, I could not remove this CD
while linux was running
(whereas I could remove the tomsrtbt CD).

But I'm very willing to learn,
and happy to admit I'm not entirely clear what I am doing.

Another issue that arose was that I was asked at one point
if I wanted to use a "driver CD".
But how exactly does one create a "driver CD" -
in this case it would be a driver for the Sony CD51 CD reader -
and where would one find appropriate drivers?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366