Is YUM superior to Synaptic ?? (was synaptic evolution)

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Mon Jan 24 19:47:52 UTC 2005

Temlakos wrote:

>> Not a dumb question. no i have never tried anything other than
>> synaptic. the reason is because early on a friend recommended it
>> synaptic. he's the same guy that recomended FC3.
>>
>> is yum superior to synaptic?
>>
>> What is the group opinion on the best way to keep FC3 updated?
>>
>> mike h
>

> Advantages of apt and synaptic:
>
> 1.    Shows you packages that are available, that you haven't already
> installed.
>
> 2.    Automatically resolves dependencies.
>
> Does yum do these things?
>
> And what is the name of yum's GUI front-end?
>
> Temlakos

Yum's GUI front end (there are two AFAIK) is gyum (for gnome) and it
includes a little nice applet too. Here's a link to it
http://fedoranews.org/tchung/gyum/

Yum is neither superior nor better than apt. They are two programs that
basically do the same, only differences, apt was ported from Debian and
yum is a modified version of a RH clone distro (Yellow Dog) for PPC
updater program (hence the name yum: Yellow dog Updater Modified).
However apt is still a little bit alien to Fedora and RPM systems, and
yum is more like a native application for the same purposes (IMO).
Nevertheless in my experience, apt tends to brake things up more easiliy
than yum (in part because it may install masked packages), most of the
time due to dependency solving. I frankly use them both, but am a little
more comfortable with yum due to my previous experience with apt and
synaptic virtually trashing a system, but your mileage may vary.