Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Mon Jan 24 21:31:34 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 01:00:04PM -0500, William Hooper wrote:

> Timothy Murphy said:
> > Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> >

> >> Fdisk has never been removed. It has always been availible
> >> for people who want more control over their partitioning than Disk Druid
> >> provides.
> >
> > What you are saying is that there is a secret code known to experts
> > for doing this.
>
> Again, the "secret code" is the standard keystroke for changing virtual
> terminals.
>
> [snip]
> > If you tell them
> > that something is dangerous you should assume that they have heard you, and
> > will either take care or else avoid that method altogether.
>
> Unfortunately this isn't the case.  As a real-world example:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2003-July/msg00574.html
>
> > Incidentally, to the many people who have told me
> > I should have used Ctr-Alt-F2 rather than Alt-F2,
> > I actually explained at one point that I was installing in text mode,
> > as the X that comes with Fedora does not run properly on my Sony
> > Picturebook (C1VFK).
> > But Alt-F2 did not work for me either.
>
> WORKSFORME.  Perhaps your hardware has issues changing virtual terminals?

Ok. if you are going from X to an alternate terminal you have to type
ALT- CTL- Fx . To back to X or another terminal then ALT - Fx is
enough. F7 usually represents the X terminal. In a text install F1 and
F2 will surfice. I just did this a week ago and I think F2 will take
you out of the text install and F1 take you back to the install. At
worst I have the F1 and F2 reversed. But that certainly works.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.