[installation]dual boot with Mandrake for test

Ciba LO cibalo at gmx.co.uk
Tue Jan 25 02:24:42 UTC 2005

Hello,

Sorry for breaking in!!!  I would like to dual boot FC3 and Mandrake too.

For installation of the dual boot system, I understand that / mount point
partition should be different for FC3 and Mandrake.  And the /swp and /home
mount point partitions can be shared.  But, I am just wonder if it is
possible to share the same /boot mount point partition between FC3 and
Mandrake and how to config it during the two installation processes.

Where can I locate a good tutorial guide for setting up a FC3-Mandrake dual
boot system?  If anyone has a working FC3-Mandrake dual boot system, would
you please list your partition table and grub configuration as:
# fdisk -l /dev/hda
# cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

At 20:40 2005/01/24, you wrote:

>Moyne Daniel wrote:
>>I want to test the fedora distribution in parallel to an installed
>>Mandrake distribution ; my questions are :
>>- can I install it in parallel onto a separate HD partition :
>
>Yes, you can.
>
>>then what is the basic procedure starting from a complete set of CD's
>>that I can get by buying a dedicated magazine,
>
>Follow the instructions shown in the magazine.
>
>>- can I select either mandrake or fedora distribution at boot : possibly
>>with lilo bootloader,
>
>When the FC3 installer asks you to select where to install the bootloader,
>tell it to install grub in the partition you're installing FC3 to (rather
>than the MBR). Your computer will boot only into Mandrake at this point
>but you should be able to configure your existing Mandrake bootloader,
>whether it be LILO or grub, to boot Fedora too. Simply chain-load the grub
>loader from the Fedora partition, just the same as how you would boot
>Windows if it was installed in the Fedora partition.
>
>>- can I share some data between both distributions : /home and possibly
>>"/usr/local" for some compiled softwares.
>
>This is possible but you may have problems if SELinux is enabled in FC3 -
>it may add attributes to your filesystems that the Mandrake OS does not
>understand.
>
>Paul.
>
>--
>

>---