Random X crashes on FC 1

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jan 25 02:32:01 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 18:56, Ben Sheron wrote:
> Hello List
>
> I am having a problem with XFree86 crashing in a seemingly random manner
> and then restarting, thus logging me out.  I found the following in
> /var/log/messages:
>
> Jan 24 11:57:33 leartes gdm[2356]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X
> error - Restarting :0
>
> I'm not exactly sure what causes this, but it tends to happen if I leave
> a program running while logged in for a long time (around 3 or 4
> hours).  Any ideas as to what this is caused by?

With the info provided it could be any of several problems.  Being
logged in for 3 or 4 hours is not really that long.  :)

Has it always done this or just recently started?

It could be the program you are running has a memory leak which causes
the problem.  Which programs are you running?  Is it just the
PlanetCCRMA package?  Or others?

You could have memory that is going bad.  Try running memtest to check
this problem.

Have you checked the temperature of your system?  Could it be over
heating after running at a high load for 3 or 4 hours causing the system
to crash?

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough.
		-- William Blake