Hardware for Linux Kernel 2.6

Arthur Pemberton dalive at flashmail.com
Tue Jan 25 02:53:25 UTC 2005

Minnie Lau wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am trying to buy a PC (rack mount) to work as a server, and I am
> planning to install Linux Kernel 2.6 on it.  Does anyone know if the
> following hardware (if so, what brand name) will work with Linux
> Kernel 2.6:
>
> 1.  Hard Drive:  SCSI Raid 1

I suggest googling for this. Look for a good hard drive. As far as I
know, there's no such thing as a Linux incompatible (modern) HDD

> 2.  USB 2.0

Long since in the kernel as far as I know. A non issue. Any brand should
do. I like Ultra, but that's just me.

> 3.  Video Adapter (what type?)

Both Nvidia and Ati seem to have closed drivers for Linux. But for a
server, you really shouldn't be pushing that much graphics, so embeded
vga should easily meet your Linux GUI needs. But I would suggest a 32MB
PCI or AGP card.

> 4.  Network Adapter (what type?)

If you find one that doesn't work with Linux, I'd be suprised.

> 5.  Processor (what type?)

Sorry, can't help much here. I would suggest however a boat load of high
speed primary storage. But get from a good source to ensure no DOA's.

> Thank you in advance for your help.

Just my $0.02.

> Minnie

Peace