Hardware for Linux Kernel 2.6

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Jan 25 03:07:36 UTC 2005

Minnie Lau writes:

> Hi!
>
> I am trying to buy a PC (rack mount) to work as a server, and I am
> planning to install Linux Kernel 2.6 on it.  Does anyone know if the
> following hardware (if so, what brand name) will work with Linux Kernel
> 2.6:
>
> 1.  Hard Drive:  SCSI Raid 1
> 2.  USB 2.0
> 3.  Video Adapter (what type?)
> 4.  Network Adapter (what type?)
> 5.  Processor (what type?)
>
> Thank you in advance for your help.

Linux should work pretty much with any hardware off the shelf.  My personal
recommendations are:

• Although an Opteron server gets the best bang for the buck, if you don't
have experience with building Linux servers you better stick to a
garden-variety Pentium 4.

• An Adaptec SCSI controller, with software RAID.  Don't waste time trying
to mess around with Adaptec's hardware SCSI RAID cards, which - in my
experience - have problems with Linux support.  A plain-vanilla SCSI
controller, such as the 29320, with software RAID, is solid and works well.

• Amongst Network Adapters, Broadcom GigE NICs have good compatibility.
Some Intel cards also have good compatibility.

• You don't need a fancy video card for a server.  You're not going to play
games,  all you need is a basic 16 or 24 bit, 1280x1024 or 1400x1050
display.  A low-end nvidia or ati card will give you that.