html format question/ OOo

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 25 22:38:22 UTC 2005

Marc M wrote (responding to my questions):
> The problem is in websites, that I have copied from OOo's Writer
> application and pasted the text into the forms.  I know for a fact
> that .asp, but maybe other types as well (I will test).  Definitely
> multiple websites so I am thinking also .cfm pages maybe as well as
> .asp sites.    Mozilla Firefox is the only browser I use right now.

It's unlikely to be .asp / .cfm: by the time the HTML gets to your
computer, it's pure HTML.

> 5. Do you get the same problem from other parts of Open Office? Other
>   programs? Pasting into anything else?
>
> Not so far but I haven't seen the need to do much experimenting.

Please do so: I don't want more than about three minutes of testing, but
this might help to pinpoint which program is the guilty party.

(And I can't reproduce the problem, which is unfortunate).

> can say that it ALWAYS happens, when I paste FROM a writer .doc file
> (my resume), INTO an online form text box of some sort.  Mind you,
> some of them don't have this problem, but when I do it is always
> there.  (Weirder still, I should add that the .doc file was done in
> OOo and so every bit of the document is Microsoft free.  That is, it
> hasn't been created by or even <opened> by Word and God knows what
> done with macros and other random bits of code beneath the surface.)
>
> 6. Do you get the same problem if you create a new user and log in as
>   them?
>
> Sounds like a long shot to me.  I will try it just for the heck of it.
>  It is worth a shot.  I don't know what kind of global variable can
> control code within Mozilla, but then again we live in a strange
> world.  :)   This isn't a huge deal, I am just really interested in
> knowing why this is happening.

Please do so. It's not such a long shot: both Firefox and OpenOffice are
controlled by hidden files in your user directory. These are the ones
that get written to, the ones that get corrupted, and the ones that
cause problems. The other files on your hard disk should be unchanged
[1] from the day you installed them.

A new user install means a pristine environment.

If that doesn't solve your problems, please enter the bug into
http://bugzilla.redhat.com. Unless you have any more insight as to which
program is at fault, choose OpenOffice.

Thanks,

James.

[1] Apart from the details of prelinking, etc.
--
James Wilkinson       | Never ask, "Oh, why were things so much better
Exeter    Devon    UK | in the old days?"