Postfix

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 26 04:11:40 UTC 2005

Robert Spangler wrote:
> I have noticed that Postfix is no longer running so I decided to restart it
> and I receive the following error:
>
> Starting postfix: ./postfix: line 34: 30371 Segmentation
> fault      /usr/sbin/postalias ${alias_database//,} 2>/dev/null
>                                                            [FAILED]
>
> So I tried to uninstall and then reinstall.  Yum doesn't find a package and
> apt-get installs postfix-2.1.5-2.4.FC3
>
> So I uninstalled this version and installed the version from the DVD ISO.
>
> I receive the following error message:
>
> Starting postfix: /etc/init.d/postfix: line 34: 31945 Segmentation
> fault      /usr/sbin/postalias "$alias_database" 2>/dev/null
>                                                            [FAILED]
Looks like this line is in error.  Using a text editor copy this line
and remove the double quotes and comment out the original line.  Like this:

#/usr/sbin/postalias "$alias_database" 2>/dev/null
/usr/sbin/postalias $alias_database 2>/dev/null

This should correct the error as I think the line should be looking for
your alias file, usually /etc/aliases, and is getting $alias_database
instead.

It should be noted that I am not using postfix here, this is just basic
scripting knowledge.

--
James McKenzie