/sbin/ifup giving `basename: too many arguments` error

Jim Cromie jcromie at divsol.com
Wed Jan 26 09:31:53 UTC 2005

folks,

Im trying to get hostap_cs running on my FC-3 laptop, and its giving me
this err:

]# ifup wlan0 /sbin/ifup: configuration for wlan0 not found.
Usage: ifup <device name>
[root at harpo firmware]# ifup hostap
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
     SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.

Determining IP information for wlan0.../sbin/dhclient-script:
configuration for wlan0 not found. Continuing with defaults.
basename: too many arguments
Try `basename --help' for more information.
basename: too many arguments
Try `basename --help' for more information.

hostap names its interface wlan%d, so thats what I did for it..

]# more /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-hostap
# Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
# for the documentation of these parameters.
IPV6INIT=no
ONBOOT=no
USERCTL=yes
PEERDNS=yes
GATEWAY=
TYPE=Wireless
DEVICE=wlan0
HWADDR=00:40:05:de:3a:25
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=
DHCP_HOSTNAME=
IPADDR=
DOMAIN=
ESSID='Apple Network ea3fa9'
CHANNEL=10
MODE=Auto
RATE=Auto

since ifup is a bash script, I tried -x option, it spews a lot,
but is ultimately unhelpful; it finally hangs after this output:

# bash -vx /sbin/ifup hostap
+ '[' -x /sbin/dhclient ']'
+ /sbin/dhclient -1 -q -lf /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-wlan0.leases -pf
/var/run/dhclient-wlan0.pid wlan0
/sbin/dhclient-script: configuration for wlan0 not found. Continuing
with defaults.
basename: too many arguments
Try `basename --help' for more information.
basename: too many arguments
Try `basename --help' for more information.

Im a bit puzzled as to where the basename is actually done;
/sbin/dhclient is an executable, not a script, so I cant imagine
why it would system() out.

OTOH, if it were back in ifup-wireless (the last script dotted in
by ifup), it would have +s on each line.

Anyway, Im hoping that someone here has sucessfully used hostap,
and can shed some light

tia,
jimc