Should I wait for Fedora Core 4? or "Dan t you don't scare me"

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Thu Jan 27 00:37:06 UTC 2005

On 01/26/2005 03:23:38 PM, dan wrote:

> Another alternative might be to build static RPMs, which could easily
> end up being several hundred megs in size, thanks to Gnome. ;)
>
> I don't know, I think this is where we hit a brick wall.  I'm sorry.
>
> Good luck
> -dant

It *might* be possible to build some or all of the dependencies to
install alongside current versions because most (all?) gnome libraries
use pkgconfig so that header files etc. of different API's can be
installed alongside each other, but it would be a lot of work to do
that.

You also could install them into a different prefix - like /opt/gnome29
or something - garnome I think can do that for you - and thus allow you
to use gnome 2.9/2.10 apps alongside FC3 gnome.

Sometimes though that stuff gets weird - I tried installing a newer
version of libflac in parallel with what fc3 ships, because an app I
wanted that isn't open source wanted a newer flac shared library. It
worked until the next time prelink ran - and then nothing that used
flac worked anymore until I uninstalled the newer flac and reran
prelink.