[OT] Vmware

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at privatei.com
Thu Jan 27 20:33:18 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 12:09 -0700, Kevin Fries wrote:

> I am trying to run vmware workstation v. 4.5 with limited success.
>
> I can get the desktop to come up, and I can get the VM session to load.
> ~ Windows XP is running somewhat successfully in the session (not
> VMWare's fault that Microsoft is a jacka$$ and places license controls
> on there that don't work [re-register my ...]).  However, the machine is
> not being seen on the local network.  I have vmnet0 set up, but vmnet1
> and vmnet8 are not.  I just want to get a VNC server to be seen via the
> network.
>
> Windows claims to have a valid IP, and is able to mount network drives.
> ~ But it is not being able to join the domain, and no other machine on
> the network can even ping the machine, let alone connect to it.
>
> Anyone else seen this behavior?  Any clues as to where to look?  I have
> thought of ipchains, and disabled it, but this did not work.  I looked
> at netstat, but the IP of the guest does not seem to be acknowledged at
> all by the host.  I suspect that is my problem, but am unsure if this is
> a VMWare or Fedora problem.

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I use VMware Workstation
4.5 on FC3. My Windows XP guest is set up to use vmnet8 specifically. I
have found that using vmnet1 (bridge mode) causes weirdness at times
with some network adapters. I think this may be due to the promiscuous
mode that the adapter winds up having to be in.

Using vmnet8, you automatically have the host machine set up as a router
and dhcp server to the virtual segment. I have no basis for it, but this
just "feels" better and it does work reliably. By working this way, my
host machine is able to see the guest and other machines on my network
are also able to talk to the guest machine, which receives a dhcp
address from the dhcp server on the host OS.

Not the solution you were looking for I know, but hopefully that helps a
bit!

Cheers,

Chris

--