Help with FC3 on a AMD 64

chris at falkenbbs.com chris at falkenbbs.com
Thu Jan 27 21:54:27 UTC 2005

   Hello, I need some help solving an issue I keep running into on two of
my boxes whenever I try to install FC3 on them, when it comes time to
actually start the installation, it dies, if you hit ALT-F1 grab the
console window and run top it appears that is the LVM program which is
grabbing 99% of the CPU,  I figured it was creating the filesystem so I
let it run for about 30 minutes, no change, just sits there, the system
is not hung up, I can do whatever I want to in the shell, its just that
the installer is probably waiting for LVM to finish to go to the next
step. The two boxes are of different architectures, one is a P4 1.7Ghz
with 512M of Ram, the other is a AMD 64 3000+ with 1G of Ram. the only
thing I can see that these two machines have in common is they both are
running VIA chipsets. I have successfully installed this distro on my
laptop which I dont think runs the VIA chipset. Fedora Core 2 will load
fine on the P4 and I can upgrade to FC3 with no issues, not sure if FC2
is using LVM, and I have not tried to install FC2 on the AMD 64.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris..