boot FC from diskiette

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 22:33:26 UTC 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:39:38 +0100, Krzysztof Kujawski
<krzysiek-kujawski at wp.pl> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have on my hard disk 2 Windowses and Linux fedora core.
> I have reinstall Windows and MBR generated by FC was deleted.
>
> Now I can't boot linux - reinstalling FC is not solution - I
> obtain info 'boot loader configuration will not be changed'.
>
> I have some c file of GRUB.
> But in short words, can you give me a recipe  for boot diskiette
> to boot linux and as chainloader 2 Windowses.
>
> Chris

Hi,
You can reinstall GRUB by booting from the rescue CD (or booting CD 1
with "linux rescue" I believe).  See this site:
http://fedoranews.org/contributors/bob_kashani/grub/

For chainloading the Windows installations, you need something like
this in your /etc/grub.conf:

title Windows
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

You'll need to replace (hd0,0) with the proper drive number and
partition number of the particular Windows install you want to boot.
If you had it working before, it will probably work again after
re-installing GRUB without changing /etc/grub.conf.  If it does not,
you'll need to provide more information (like disk layout).

Jonathan