Yum proxy?

Chris Stark cstark at hawaii.edu
Fri Jan 28 00:38:30 UTC 2005

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> Is there any such thing as a yum proxy? And I don't mean setting up yum
> to work through a proxy. I'm hoping for a daemon through which the host
> and client connect, and which would in turn access the repos, so as to
> save band width.
>
> Does such exist?

I'll leave the details up to your googling abilities, but what you could
do is one of these two ideas:

1. RSYNC

use rsync to keep a local mirror on one of your servers, then set up an
alias in apache to serve your repo to your private network.

2. NFS

use nfs on a local server and redirect your yum cache on each machine to
the nfs share. This way you only download what you need, and you only
download once per package.

I use nfs because I'm only serving three machines at the moment. Rsync
and a web server would probably be better if you have more machines and
have multiple different package requirements.

--
Chris Stark
Musician, Linux User, Grad Student