Time for the swtich has come.

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Fri Jan 28 03:47:30 UTC 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:06:56 -0500, "Kyle Lagonegro (Student-Lagone37)"
<Lagone37 at cortland.edu> wrote:

>I'm finally fed up with Windows and Microsoft in general.  I just signed up to this mailing list and am making the first steps to moving over to Linux.  From what I have read Fedora is the way to go.  So now I must download, but before I make the switch I have some questions:
>
>1) Is it a good idea to do the dual particion so I keep WinXP for a while?  Because frankly I want it gone as fast as possible...

Hang onto Windows for a while. Set up your Linux install as a dual boot. (Buy
a 2nd disk for this.)  Don't go cold turkey.

>2) I'm hooked up to a LAN connection through my college, does Linux come with a web browser like Windows does, because if so I should have no problems with anything, I'm just worried about putting it on and not having the ability to get on for help.

What do you want?  Firefox? OK. Mozilla? OK.  Konquerer?  OK.  And many more.
Fedora installs Firefox by default.

>3) I have a bunch of drivers and such that came with the computer, will they work for Linux, or are they only formatted for Windows?  The disks don't say windows on them at all, but I'm not sure.

To quote an old saying, "Not bloody likely."  If you have a desktop machine,
this shouldn't be a problem. If it's a laptop, post a message with details and
lots of helpful folks will give you pointers.

>That's it for now, but trust me when I say you will all be hearing from me a lot...  Hehe.

That's how we all learned.  Do your research on Google first and post a
question when you're stumped.  You'll be amazed how short the time before
you're posting answers to newbie questions yourself.

>One question about this forum, is there a way to stop them from mailing everything to me, I'll just go to the site to check responds and such...

I find it useful to have each message mailed to me. You can use gmane (Google
is your friend) to have a newsgroup interface. I set up this mail account only
for the various lists I'm on and read it with a news reader (OK... on Windows,
but what the heck.)
--
  Steve