sound problems - still

Dave fedora-user at nospam.dnsalias.org
Fri Jan 28 04:13:48 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 26 January 2005 08:43 pm, Mike Thatcher wrote:
> I recently upgraded from RH 8.0 to FC3. I have not been successful in
> getting sound to work since the upgrade. I've updated to the latest
> alsa, kernel, etc and still have no sound. I've check the bootrom and
> audio is enabled, power is applied to speakers.  other details below -
> if anyone has some suggestions on what else I can try

 Everybody else is going to tell you about checking mixer settings and making
sure the master channel is not muted, but that didn't help me one bit. It
turned out to be some odd quirk with my particular sound device (via82xx). I
started out with NO sound at all. Here's the things that finally got mine
working:

 1. I updated the kernel, and sound started working--barely. I had to have the
physical volume control turned all the way up to 11 to get a whisper out.

 2. There are apparently quirks with many sound cards that the drivers can
compensate for ... but how to find out if yours qualifies, I have no clue.
Maybe the source? It turned out that the only volume control that worked was
the headphone level--not the master control (which is a pain when you want to
mute and have to bring up a full mixer). I had to add "options snd-via82xx
dxs_support=4 ac97_quirk=1" to my /etc/modprobe.conf. Now I could control the
sound via the master control.

 3. However, there were still other mixer controls that had an effect. I had
to scroll over to the far right on alsamixer and kmix, where there are four
more sliders labelled VIA DXS. I have no clue what they're for, but I have to
crank the first one up.

I realize you have a different sound chip, but maybe all this will help you at
least look at other solutions.