GRUB will not be overwritten

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Jan 28 08:03:53 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 16:46 -0600, Jonathan Berry wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:45:23 -0500, Trey Sizemore <trey at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > Terry Polzin wrote:

> > >No, it's two command lines
> > >chroot /mnt/sysimage -- makes the / command tree you would have after a normal
> > >boot effective ( you are no longer running commands from the
> > >rescue /bin, /sbin directories)
> > >
> > >The /sbin/grub-install /dev/hd(x) should re-write the MBR.
> > >
> > >Then exit twice, the first one will return you to the rescue environment, the
> > >second will reboot the system.
> > >

> > Now that I've done this, when I select /dev/hdb1 to boot from in GAG, I
> > get a grub> prompt?  How can I get this to show me the option for Fedora
> > or boot directly into fedora?
>
> You get a "grub>" prompt if GRUB cannot find a config file.  Either
> this file is not there, or GRUB is just not finding it.  There should
> be a /boot/grub/grub.conf file with links to it from /etc/grub.conf
> and /boot/grub/menu.lst  Boot from the rescue CD and see if you can
> find any of the above files.  If so, look at them and report back the
> content.  Do you have a /boot/ partition?  If so, you should point
> grub-install to that partition instead of /

It shouldn't even be necessary to boot into the rescue CD as grub has a
"find" command you could use.

grub> find /boot/grub/grub.conf (if you don't have a separate /boot
partition)
grub> find /grub/grub.conf (if you do have a separate /boot partition)

grub should tell you the partition name where it finds this file, e.g.:
(hd1,0)

So you should then be able to select the menu from that partition:

grub> configfile (hd1,0)/boot/grub/grub.conf
or
grub> configfile (hd1,0)/grub/grub.conf

depending on whether or not you have a separate /boot partition.

If both "find" commands return nothing, you'll probably need to boot the
rescue CD and create a /boot/grub/grub.conf file by hand.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>