LVM and RAID1

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Fri Jan 28 15:38:04 UTC 2005

Mark wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read the intro to LVM and like the fact that I can add additional HDs without problems.
> However, if I want to have everything running in a RAID1 configuration in case one of my hard disks decides to crash or break some
> sectors, how do the two work together?
> Do I first configure the RAID1 and put the LVMs on top of my md_ partitions?
>
> How reliable is this, and how much performance do I loose?

I find it very reliable.  I've heard some people having trouble under
heavy loads, but I beleive thay also had some other exotic stuff changed
in Kernel (non-standard memory page size and stuff like that).

Anyhow, to configure it, first create RAID1 md device, as usual (say you
created /dev/md4).  Than define it as physical volume (pvcreate
/dev/md4) and simply add it into existing volume group (vgextend
vol_group /dev/md4), or use it as component of new volume group
(vgcreate new_vol_group /dev/md4).