Cdrecord not working - please help!

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Fri Jan 28 15:47:52 UTC 2005

Steven Pasternak wrote:
> I use FC2 kernel 2.6.5-1.358 and cdrecord 2.01.1-0.FC2.1 and cd burning WON'T
> WORK!! I have /usr/bin/cdrecord set to 4711 and /dev/hdc set to 666 and no
> luck! the md5sum checks out, and even burning as root doesn't work! I went
> through 3 CD-Rs and all wasted. My burner has a light that is green when
> reading, yellow for something else (I think fixating) and red for burning. I
> have tried command line and k3b. It will "start writing", be red for 1-2
> seconds, then switch from yellow to green many times. I try to kill it, but
> 1. it wont die 2. it won't let me open my cdrom (even with eject, which
> freezes). Finally, after a minute, it dies and gives me a worthless, dead,
> partially-written-on cd-r. cdrecord says that it couldn't fixate disk. Could
> it be cdrecord, permissions, or the kernel itself? Thanks!

First of all, why are you attempting to kill it?  Let it do its job.  Be
patient.  Secondly, update to the latest kernel RPM for FC2, and retest.

Said that, I had problems with cdrecrod in FC3 (and some people had it
with FC2).  It is related to burning  DVD+R media, not CDs.  It seems
that cdrecord is skipping fixation phase with DVD+R media, so this might
be related, if your problem is really cdrecord failing to fixate disks
(although, burning CDs always worked for me, only trouble was with
DVDs).  If you check those CDs in some other burning software (for
example Nero under Windows, just do "disk info") what does it report?
See bug 136665 in Bugzilla for details.