Update Red Hat 9 with Fedora Core 3?

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Fri Jan 28 16:30:58 UTC 2005

David W. Williams wrote:
> Can a Red Hat 9 installation be updated using Fedora Core 3, or must I
> do a clean install of Fedora Core 3?

You should be able to update even from older release.  I did a test
update of Red Hat 7.3 to Fedora Core 3.  It takes more time than clean
fresh install, and what you get is not exactly the same thing (SELinux
stuff isn't enabled by default, for example).  So it is up to you.  If
you have tons of customizations and/or don't want to move data around,
do update.  If it was simple box (for example firewall), copying your
firewall rules somewhere else, clean install, and copying firewall rules
back would be much much faster.