nptd and firewall

Robert Nichols rnichols42 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 28 17:16:01 UTC 2005

John DeDourek wrote:
> UNFORTUNATELY, I don't remember which version of firewall
> (ipchains or iptables) is installed by default for fc ONE
> (which was specified in the original query) and I have no
> way of knowing whether this was changed by the author of the
> question.

FC-1 defaulted to iptables, so there should be no change needed
to run ntpd as a non-serving client.  Red Hat 7.x used ipchains,
so running ntpd required opening up port 123/udp.  Even with a
default ipchains configuration, you could still run ntpdate (not
ntpd) if you used its "-u" option to use an unprivileged port.

Bob Nichols         rnichols42 at comcast.net