FC3 sucks. It takes up too much memory!

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 28 21:25:21 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Green <jgreen at 8x8.com>
Sent: Jan 28, 2005 1:15 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Subject: Re: FC3 sucks. It takes up too much memory!

James McKenzie wrote:

> akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 01:59:43AM -0800, Mark Eggers wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 22:49 -0800, John Wendel wrote:

I don't disagree that some programs are memory hogs, but any release of
linux is mostly defined by what you run on top of it. If you like FC3,
but don't like the fact that the release of gnome packaged with it is a
memory hog, then you should be complaining to the developers of gnome.
likewise with eggcups.

just my 2 bits.

-----James' reply to Mr. Green's comments-----

I agree totally with your assessment.  I found that Nautilus was using the MOST memory and almost 38MB and I will look at what it does.  If it is just a program to show me what files exist on my system, that is a little high, but I don't know (but I can find out) how much space explore.exe uses in Windows XP (it performs basically the same function, to show you a nice background, lauch applications and show you your files.)  And I like what you are doing with your system.
As I said, I am a fan of LINUX and started with Caldera (cough, cough).  I moved to RH 7.1 and switched to FC 1, 2 and 3 after my support ran out on the boxed set of RH9 that I bought.  I think that I need to trim my system but like you, I run on a less than optimum system and unless I run a Java based torrent program, my memory usage hardly hits the swap file.  And yes, I've complained about the memory usage of the Java program.

James McKenzie
A Proud User of Linux!