Home p2p network, need help

David Hoffman dhoffman2004 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 21:27:23 UTC 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:17:16 -0200, Leandro Melo <ltcmelo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
> I want to share an internet connection between my computers. I don't
> have a hub, so it's just a p2p network (just an ethernet cable).
> The computer that hosts the connection runs Fedora and the one i want
> to share the connection with runs windows xp.
> Can anyone suggest a guide or tutorial for doing this? Will i have to
> use samba for that?
>
> --
> Leandro

You are saying you want to share an INTERNET connection between the
two. So the assumption is that you mean to connect your Fedora machine
to the internet and want your XP machine to be able to use that
connection. If that is the case, then you probably want to have two
NIC cards in the Fedora machine, one for the network connection to the
net (unless you are doing dialup) and another for a different network
segment to the XP machine.

I would suggest googling for How-To information on NAT and IP Masquerading.

David