Fedora Core 3 Sound Problems....?

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Sat Jan 29 00:58:06 UTC 2005

Seng Lee wrote:

>Hi there,
>
> I'm new at this Linux thing and i've just installed Fedora Core 3 on
>my desktop, so i hope someone would be kind enough to help me out with
>my problems.
>
>After installing Fedora, the first thing i notice is that i can't play
>any VCD, DVD or even normal audio CDs; I "tested" my soundcard and it
>work find because i can hear the sample sound played in the "Sound
>Card Detection" section and i can also hear all the system events
>sounds.... so far that is my worries after installing Fedora into my
>desktop apart from not being able to access my NTFS partition but that
>i can solve..... so pls help me out with my sound ( & video )
>problems. thanks.

What do you mean by VCD and DVD problem? You mean you can't watch them
or they don't sound?

If the problem is that you can't watch any video, you may need to
download a more suited application (like Xine or Mplayer) for that (yum
is your friend for that, and certainly livna or freshrpms are your best
repos for those). http://rpm.livna.org and http://heidelberg.freshrpms.net

As for the sound, check your cables and please post what is marked as
Multimedia audio controller: when you issue the command (yuo don't have
to be root for this):
/sbin/lspci -v

You may have an ALSA issue there, or just your volume levels need adjusting.