Triple boot FC3 intallation question

Ciba LO cibalo at gmx.co.uk
Sat Jan 29 03:16:02 UTC 2005

Hello,

You're right.  That doesn't work.  It works for the WinMe, but not the MSDOS.

I have Windows98-version MSDOS installed in (hd1,0).  That is not a second
Windows.  I would like to boot into MSDOS for ghost backup.  So, first I
create a primary FAT partition, then transfer the MSDOS system (sys d:) and
copy the dos commands from Windows98 boot diskette.

At 18:09 2005/01/28, you wrote:

>Paul Howarth wrote:
>>On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 11:42 +0800, Ciba LO wrote:
>>
>>>Sorry for breaking in!!!
>>>
>>>I have WinMe In (hd0,0) and Win98 MSDOS in (hd1,0).  And I can create
>>>bootable floppy for both.  Please advise how to create the bootsect.dos
>>>in linux or msdos for both to work with the grub chainloader that you
>>>have suggested.  I couldn't locate the bootsect.dos in my WinMe.
>>
>>You've installed the two copies of Windows on to different disks so
>>there probably isn't a bootsect.dos there.
>>Something like this *might* work (I haven't tried it)
>>title WinME
>>    hide (hd1,0)
>>    unhide (hd0,0)
>>    root (hd0,0)
>>    makeactive
>>    chainloader +1
>>title Win98
>>    hide (hd0,0)
>>    unhide (hd1,0)
>>    root (hd1,0)
>>    makeactive
>>    chainloader +1
>
>Thinking about this a bit more, it probably doesn't work. The hide/unhide
>bits are intended for multiple OSes on one disk, but you have installed
>them on two disks. How exactly did you do the installation? Did you
>phsically remove the first disk when installing the second version of
>Windows? Or did you just tell it to use the second disk, in which case the
>second copy's bootloader is still probably on the first disk, despite the
>WINDOWS directory being on the second disk.
>
>Paul.

Best Regards,
Ciba LO<cibalo at gmx.co.uk>