TurboTax - Linux?

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at privatei.com
Sat Jan 29 15:43:38 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 00:40 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 08:59:28PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > Yeah; I've done this for several years under Linux, and am pretty happy with
> > it. Downside is Intuit stores all of your private data on their servers;
> > upside is kinda the same thing, since it's all very easy the next year since
> > they can prefill anything that hasn't changed.
>
> Doh! This year, turbotax for the web gives me the dreaded:
>
>   TurboTax for the Web does not work with the Web browser you are using. You
>   must use one of the following supported browsers:
>
>   Windows®
>
>     Windows XP         Internet Explorer® 6.0, Netscape® 7.x, AOL® 7.0
>                         or higher
>     Windows 2000/98/Me Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher, Netscape 7.x, AOL
>                         7.0 or higher
>     Windows NT®        Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher, AOL 7.0 or higher
>
>   Mac OS®
>
>      Mac OS 9.0 or higher   Safari 1.x, AOL for Mac OS X

If you use Konqueror, you can spoof the site into thinking you're
running Safari on Mac OS X. Select:

Tools --> Change Browser Identification --> (Identify As) Other -->
Safari 1.2.3 on Mac OS X

You can also spoof IE 6 on Windows XP if you like. I have found this to
be quite useful for sites with overzealous and usually unnecessary
browser checks. Sometimes I wish Firefox would do it as well, though I
understand the rationale as to why they won't...

Cheers,

Chris

--
"If you get to thinkin' you're a