restarting cups

Robert Storey y2kbug at ms25.hinet.net
Sun Jan 30 14:12:14 UTC 2005

Thanks to all who replied. I finally tracked the problem to the fact
that my loopback interface in file /etc/hosts "disappeared". (Peter, you
were on the right track). I don't know why it vanished, but it did, so I
manually edited the file and restored it. For those who have no idea
what I'm talking about, you need a line in /etc/hosts that looks
something like this:

  127.0.0.1       localhost.utopia.com    localhost

Output of "/sbin/ifconfig" now shows the loopback interface working:

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:276 (276.0 b)  TX bytes:276 (276.0 b)

best regards,
Robert