64-bit FC3 on nForce4 motherboards

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun Jan 30 17:22:54 UTC 2005

I'm using the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (Socket 939) with an Athlon 64
3500+. My chipset is nForce3. I think you will be just fine if you
remove the PATA drive and install only to the SATA drive. Currently, my
system boots off an SATA drive and there is a second hard drive plugged
in also which is on the SATA2 connector. I started out with just the
boot drive connected to SATA1, got my system installed, and went on to
add the second drive to SATA2 and I created the mount point "by hand".

I do not know what happens when you attempt an install where 1 drive is
on the PATA connector and the other is on an SATA connector. I do know
that at install time, both drives are globbed together in an LVM Volume
Group. This happened when a friend asked me to install FC3 on his older
system and I just left both his PATA drives plugged in. I'm not sure how
it all works, but I think this might be confusing the boot process in
your case.

Your motherboard has an SLI capability, right? Are you implementing that?

Bob Cochran