Strange update behavior with OpenOffice.org

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Mon Jan 31 00:46:01 UTC 2005

I had a strange update tonight and wanted to pass along my experience.

I noticed that yum reported updates to openoffice.org version
1.1.3.mumble.  No worries, said I, yum does the right thing and I ran
the update.

After the update, when I tried to run OpenOffice, the installer
appeared, with a dialog asking me to update my installation of v1.1.2
because the "network" installation had been updated.  When I followed
the prompts to update, the update failed, asking me to close OpenOffice
1.0, 1.0.1, 1.1, and 1.1.2.

After this, OO would not run, instead Bug Buddy appears whenever I try
to use an OO application.

My fix was to uninstall (rpm -e) the existing versions of
openoffice.org, openoffice.org-libs, and openoffice.org-i18n.  Then a simple

yum install openoffice.org

appears to have recovered my OO installation, kindly leaving the big
i18n package out.

I thought that was really strange.  If anyone has seen this situation,
this might help.  If you have other information about it, I'd appreciate
a word.

Erik Hemdal