Partition help

jim lawrence fedorajim at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 02:51:24 UTC 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:42:28 -0700, Leo Donahue <elmoses at cox.net> wrote:

> I need help installing Fedora Core 3 on my laptop.
>
> My goal is to learn Linux enough to stop using windows.
>
> I have win2k on my laptop.  PIII ~900MHz. 512MB ram. 20GB hard drive.
> Currently win2k only has 10001MB of my hard drive.  Under windows, there is
> another primary partition that is unformatted.
>
> I inserted the FC3 cd and rebooted.  I got to the point where the Anaconda
> wizard tries to partion the remaining portion of my hard drive for me.  I
> get an error that says something about not being a primary partition or
> something.  So I use Disk Druid to setup the partitions like the Book I'm
> using suggests.
>
> I'm reading the text by Sobell, "Practical Guide to Red Hat Linux".
>
> The text suggests the following for partions:
>
> /boot    100 megabytes
> /        500 megabytes
> (swap)   two times the amount of ram
> /home    As large as necessary, depends upon # of users
> /tmp     Minimum 100 megabytes
> /usr     Minimum 1.7 - 5.5 GB depending what I install
> /var     Minimum 500 Megabytes
>
> Well you've probably already guessed that the / account is too small, I get
> an uncaught exception error that says I should have had 2515MB of space for
> the root partition.  There are three choices, if I remember correctly and I
> chose "OK", which froze the laptop and I hard to do a hard boot to restart
> the laptop.
>
> I am only installing the default packages to learn what is there before I do
> a custom install.
>
> Can someone recommend a better partion schema for an approximate 10 GB hard
> drive?
>
> I would appreciate the list's help.
>
> Thanks.
> --

it might be the primary partition causing the error
see my disc info attachment  from my notebook
create 3 partitions
/boot  100 mb
/swap  2000mb
/ root  the rest of the drive

When I'm feeling down, I like to whistle.
It makes the neighbor's dog run to the end of his chain and gag himself.
Registered Linux User: #376813

jim lawrence
128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78