IMAP, POP3, FC1 vs FC3

Mike McMullen mlm at loanprocessing.net
Mon Jan 31 05:58:22 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: <poohba at blkpoohba.dyndns.org>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2005 9:22 PM
Subject: Re: IMAP, POP3, FC1 vs FC3

> Well, seeing how I didn't go to FC2 and I only went to FC3 b/c I built a
> new system I think as long as they support FC1 I just may go back to it.
> My thing is.  If it isn't broke why try to fix it.  Maybe there were some
> flaws in imapd that I didn't know of but I was able to use it VERY easily.
> With dovecot I have been reading you have to reformat the way you use your
> mail and mail 'folders'.  My inbox is in /var/spool/mail/user and my
> 'folders' which are only files are under ~/mail and that worked.  And
> since it was imapd that was working then I guess I will go back to that.
> I've tried following the comments and various pages I've found and I have
> not been able to get pop or imap to work.
>
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Edward wrote:

I upgraded from FC1 and UW-IMAP to FC2 and Dovecot about 5
months ago. I keep my user's folders in /local/mail/folders/ and use mbox
format instead of maildirs. The upgrade went flawlessly. I recommend
Dovecot over UW-IMAP. It's about 3 to 10 times faster then the old
imapd and significantly lowered load on the mail server. Your milage
may vary but I highly recommend  Dovecot.

I think I saw that a UW-IMAP migration to Dovecot document was installed
with the last update for Dovecot on FC3. You might go google for the
announcements from Fedora and find the document location. Probably
worth reading before you make your final decision.

One last tidbit is that the performance gains from the 2.6 kernels and their
virtual memory management is well worth making the change from
FC1.

Hope this helps,

Mike