Partition help

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Jan 31 09:12:11 UTC 2005

On 01/30/2005 07:25:03 PM, Thomas Cameron wrote:

> I wouldn't usually contradict Mark Sobell, but since you are just
> setting up a small system for educational purposes, I would do this:
>
> /boot (200MB)
> swap (512MB)
> / (the whole rest of the drive)

/boot doesn't need to be 200MB.
It can hold a LOT of kernels/initrd images before 100MB is not enough.

[mpeters at devel ~]$ df -m |grep boot
/dev/hda1                   97        22        71  24% /boot
[mpeters at devel ~]$

That's with six different kernels and their related stuff in there, as
well as memtest86. 22MB used, 71 free.

I personally would add a /home in addition to above - so that I can do
fresh installs wiping everything in / without losing my /home data.