Partition help

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Mon Jan 31 13:46:54 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael A. Peters" <mpeters at mac.com>
To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 3:12 AM
Subject: Re: Partition help

> On 01/30/2005 07:25:03 PM, Thomas Cameron wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't usually contradict Mark Sobell, but since you are just
>> setting up a small system for educational purposes, I would do this:
>>
>> /boot (200MB)
>> swap (512MB)
>> / (the whole rest of the drive)
>
> /boot doesn't need to be 200MB.
> It can hold a LOT of kernels/initrd images before 100MB is not enough.

Probably so.  I've always gone big b/c I *do* usually have a bunch of
kernels there.

> [mpeters at devel ~]$ df -m |grep boot
> /dev/hda1                   97        22        71  24% /boot
> [mpeters at devel ~]$
>
> That's with six different kernels and their related stuff in there, as
> well as memtest86. 22MB used, 71 free.
>
> I personally would add a /home in addition to above - so that I can do
> fresh installs wiping everything in / without losing my /home data.

Sure, that's not a problem.  I personally never keep anything critical on my
laptop drive permanently (rsync it with my desktop).  So for me, having
/home separate is not a big deal.  You make very valid points though.

Thomas