Linksys 54g Support - PLEASE!

Callahan, Michael MichaelCallahan at templeinland.com
Fri Jul 1 02:53:36 UTC 2005

Apparently the WPC11 could work under Linux, I wonder if these instructions
would work for the 54G?

To get your WPC11 to work under Linux you must first go to
ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng/and get the most current version
of the linux-wlan-ng drivers.

Once you've downloaded, make sure you're in the console, not X (If you're in
x you may run into problems).

You also must be logged in as root, if you're not simple do:

su - then hit Enter and you will be prompted for your root password.

Make sure the card is not inserted!!!

Once you've downloaded the file you will need to go to the directory you
downloaded it to and do:

tar zxvf linux-wlan-ng*.tar.gz

This will un tar the compressed driver.  After you do this go into the
director that was created by typing in:

cd linux-wlan-ng, then hit [tab] and tab completion should fill out the
rest.

Once you're in the directory, type in:

./Configure

This will start the configuration script.  You will be prompted for:

"Build Prism2.x PCMCIA Card Services (_cs) driver? (y/n) [y]:"  type y for
yes, and hit Enter

"Build Prism2 PLX9052 based PCI (_plx) adapter driver? (y/n) [n]:" type n
for no, and hit Enter

"Build Prism2.5 native PCI (_pci) driver? (y/n) [n]:" type n for no, and hit
Enter

"Build Prism2.5 USB (_usb) driver? (y/n) [n]:" type n for no, and hit Enter

"Linux source directory [/usr/src/Linux]:" by default this should be where
your kernel is located, if it's located in a different place please input
the path.  Else hit Enter

"pcmcia-cs source dir [/usr/src/pcmcia-cs-3.1.XX]:" by default this should
be where your card services are located, if it's located in a different
place please input the path.  Else hit Enter

"Build for Kernel PCMCIA? (y/n) [n]:" type n for no, and hit Enter

"PCMCIA script directory [/etc/pcmcia]:" by default this should be where
your PCMCIA scripts are located, if it's located in a different place please
input the path.  Else hit Enter

"Alternate target install root directory on host []:" hit Enter

            "Module install director [/lib/modules/2.*.**]:" this will
depending on where your module directory is, and the *.** depends on what
kernel you're running, if you've got another install directory please input
it.  Else hit Enter

"Target Architecture? (i386, ppc, arm, or alpha) [i386]:" this prompt is for
the type of processor you use, i386 is Intel/AMD based systems (IBM Clones).
If you're running a IBM clone, just hit Enter, else input the type of
Architecture you're using and hit Enter

"Prefix for build host compiler? (rarely needed) []:" just hit Enter here
unless you're sure

"Compiling with a cross compiler? (y/n) [n]:" Type n and hit Enter unless
you're compiling with a cross compiler.

"Build for debugging (see doc/config.debug) (y/n) [n]:" Type n and hit Enter

Then you should get a message saying "Configuration Successful"

Once you're back at a prompt, type in:

make all and hit Enter, this will cause the drivers to compile.

Once the compiler is done, do make install or checkinstall (check install is
an optional download that makes allows you to remove packages vi the Package
Tool).

Once this is done, type:

cd /etc/pcmcia

then vi wlan-ng.opts

Once the file comes up in vi hit esc then i to start insertion

First you will need to change the option WLAN_ENABLE=n to WLAN_ENBLE=y (Note
some times this is listed twice)

Scroll down and look for "SELECT STATION MODE", make sure that IS_ADHOC= is
set to n, so it would be IS_ADHOC=n

Now configure "INFRASTRUCTURE STATION START"

set the desiredSSID="" (By default this is set to linux-WLAN) to what ever
the SSID is set to on your network.

If you're using WEP the options for WEP are listed above, however you will
need to enter your key manually.  Read the instructions under "WEP" for more
information.

Once you've done this hit esc then : then x then Enter to save and exit.  If
you want to exit with out saving hit esc then : then q! then Enter

Now that you have that done, restart your system, (When LILO comes up insert
the WPC11).

Once linux has loaded, you will need to log in as root again.

If you have an internal NIC, you will need to disable it.  To do this type:

ifconfig eth0 down

Once that is done type:

ifconfig wlan0 up

Once that is done you can configure the wireless connection with a static IP
or you can use DHCP by doing:

dhcpcd wlan0

Once that is done you should able to communicate wirelessly.

*Please note that Linksys does not offer phone nor E-mail support of the
Linux operating system.  This information is strictly informational only and
Linksys is not responsible for any damage/data loss done to your OS by
following these instructions.  You must do this at your own risk.