Re: Remote Assistance

Hi,

VNC the way to go! That is how I am fixing my families XP's on the east coast from CA.
It comes with FC4. All your dad has to do is download the windows version(it's FREE) and install it.
It works for me great! Highly recommended.

Laszlo

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 6:37am, Travis Fraser wrote:
On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 09:13 -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:
On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 05:40, Andy Pieters wrote:

> My Father lives 1.500 km away (1000 miles) and If only he would have Linux, I
> could just ssh in and arrange everything.
>
> I like heard of Remote Assistance on windows xp but since I don't have any
> windows, is anyone aware of a Linux Client that can interface with that?

Note that vnc by itself is not secure. It does not provide an encrypted
connection so any passwords and data sent over it are in the clear.

I have used ssh to tunnel vnc but only between two linux systems. It
should be possible to do something similar with windows. Would have to
look at putty to see if it can listen for incoming ssh connections and
setup the remote end of the tunnel for this. Again I have used putty to
setup ssh tunnels from windows systems to linux systems but not the
other direction.

 The other option would be to install cygwin on the windows box.  Then
 you should be able to setup an encrypted tunnel using ssh with that.

 --
 Scot L. Harris
 webid cfl rr com

Openssh is pretty easy to setup with cygwin. I have been using that to pull rsync backups from a Windows XP Pro box. -- Travis Fraser <travis snowpatch net>