Some thoughts for the future

Ryan ryanag at zoominternet.net
Fri Jul 1 22:54:11 UTC 2005

It seems we are saying the same thing.

>It more that just that.  Try letting a new user
> install
> additonal packages on Linux where all kinds of RPM
> related issues occur.
>
> If you want to give them a 'STATIC' system and say
> 'NEVER MODIFY IT',  then you may have a point.
>
> The problem is, that when problems occur they have
> to know 'vi' and other command line stuff to attempt
> to correct the problem.

Ok....... so a Windows user installs a bunch of software. No root
password, no RPM, just double-left-click and install.

As a by-product of no GPG keys, no trusted repositories, and no access
control, the machine gets loaded with spyware. Performance degrades. The
machine gets unstable.

If its been a few years since the purchase of the PC, the users' chuck
it and get a new PC (sub $500 PCs make this possible), or they ask a
neighbor or friend for help.

While I can probably find at least 3 people on my block who know how to
run spybot, MS anti-spyware, and fumble through the regedit. How many
know how to use Linux? Probably, just me.

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 09:45 -0700, BRUCE STANLEY wrote:

> --- Ryan <ryanag at zoominternet.net> wrote:
>
> > I think the bigger issue is that when a new user can
> > not do something in
> > Windows, catches a virus, or gets infected with
> > spyware, they are in the
> > same position as 90% of other new and non-technical
> > PC users.
> >
> > When a new user gets stuck on something Linux, but
> > they could have in
> > Windows, they are among a very small percentage of
> > people with that
> > problem, and consequently don't get much in the way
> > of support.

<SNIP>