How to build a local yum update server??

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Jul 2 07:57:15 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 09:03 +0200, Hans Müller wrote:
> Hello, i have many Fedora systems in my network.
> How can i do it, that i only must download the updates one time.
> And the client then get the updates from my update server.
> At the clients i must only add my server as an new repro.

> But how can i set the repro up???
You need is the "repodata" of the repository you try to install from on
a machine internal of your network (e.g. on a local ftp, http server=

For remote site already shipping repodata, all you need to do is to
mirror these remote sites on and to set up your local yum client
configuration to the directory on your local mirror/server.

For local/custom-built rpms, put the rpms into one directory and run
createrepo (cf. createrepo --help).

Ralf