Change Disk from IDE to SCSI using dd, what else ?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Jul 2 12:41:01 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:

>> But how does this program /sbin/new-kernel-pkg know
>> _which_ scsi driver to install?
>> In my case, at least, it seems to make the wrong choice.
>
> It should include any module listed as a scsi_hostadapter
> in /etc/modprobe.conf and any dependencies of those modules.

In my case, some program appends the line

        alias scsi_hostadapter piix

to /etc/modprobe.conf ; and mkinitrd fails because
it does not find this module.
When I delete this line - which overrides an earlier

        alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx

- all goes well.

So thanks to you I have discovered at last
why the official kernels fail on my machine,
and how to overcome the problem.
(In practice I used knoppix to mount the partition with /etc/modprobe.conf
in it, and deleted the offending line;
but I guess I could have used the Rescue CD for the same purpose.)

Again, many thanks!

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366