firestarter and dhcp

Mark Bidewell mark.bidewell at alumni.clemson.edu
Sat Jul 2 21:05:33 UTC 2005

John Bray wrote:

>hey mark -
>
>i thought that exit-hooks thing was good detective work! i've been
>running in permissive mode for a while primarily because of that
>particular problem.
>
>interestingly enough, when i query the rpm db about that file, it says
>that no package does that file.
>
>i.e.:
>[jmb at junior forRoot]$ rpm -q --whatprovides /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks
>file /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks is not owned by any package
>[jmb at junior forRoot]$
>
>that seems very strange.
>
>i was sitting here today thinking about whether to change the start to
>stop  or to just rename the whole file for a bit.
>
>i'm wondering if you've got any further thoughts/advice about it?
>
>john

Did a little more reseach on the dhclient-exit-hooks  (see man
dhclient-scripts for more info on its purpose).  I tracked down the
adding of the line to the firestarter source code.  Apparently, this is
the author's way of automatically starting the service independent of
any distro specific startup system.  The RPM removes the line, but is
not responsible for its creation.  I think the line will reappear any
time the firewall configuration is changed.  Now to cobble a patch
together to make that optional...

Mark Bidewell