Where is qt3 (for x86_64)?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun Jul 3 00:27:49 UTC 2005

Michael Schwendt wrote:

>> In fact there is no libqt.so anywhere on the system:
>
> No, because only the multi-threaded Qt library libqt-mt is used.
>
>> Could I use libqt-mt.so in compiling the kernel?
>
> Yes, it will be found and accepted.

It does not appear to be "found":
[tim at blanche linux-2.6.12]$ make xconfig
  HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/qconf
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lqt
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/qconf] Error 1
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2
Why would it be found unless there was a symbolic link?

I remain puzzled by this;
on my i386 Fedora-4 distribution I find
[tim at alfred ~]$ locate libqt.so
/usr/lib/qt-2.3.1/lib/libqt.so.2.3
/usr/lib/qt-2.3.1/lib/libqt.so.2
/usr/lib/qt-2.3.1/lib/libqt.so.2.3.1
/usr/lib/qt-2.3.1/lib/libqt.so
[tim at alfred ~]$ rpm -qf /usr/lib/qt-2.3.1/lib/libqt.so
qt2-devel-2.3.1-13

There appears to be an x86_64 qt3 rpm containing libqt.so ,
but it is not in any official Fedora repository.

So what should one do?
Get an unofficial package containing libqt.so ?
Link libqt-mt.so to libqt.so ?
Give up on "make xconfig" ?
[There is no problem with "make menuconfig".]

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366