FC4 good new tech, bad legacy support

Richard Kelsch rich at csst.net
Sun Jul 3 00:59:34 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 19:53, Richard Kelsch wrote:
>

>>>Since you haven't, in all your ranting, mentioned a single
>>>specific bug that we might hope could be fixed and certainly not
>>>fixed by waiting, what is your suggestion to make things better
>>>here?
>>>

>>I mentioned them more than once, and even one of them in detail.  If
>>you're going to flame, be accurate.
>>

>I saw something about a perl module from CPAN not compiling
>correctly, but nothing that resembled a bug report and nothing
>that was sent to the author of the broken code - the only one
>likely to be able to fix it.

I assure you, the author has a nicely detailed email explaining the
process and where it broke.  Unfortunately, I doubt the author has
checked his SF email in the last two years, as a reply is still yet to
arrive, and no fixes have been make to the CPAN tree.

I suspect the project's code will remain as-is, unfortunately.  To tell
you the truth, I'd be glad to ditch it if someone made a FFMpeg
interface that works for Perl.  The current implementation doesn't have
the features needed, nor does it compile properly either (on FC3 and 4).

You never know, one of these days I'll get so ticked off at CPAN module
writers ditching their code, that I might raid the book store and figure
out C on my own, and dump Perl all together.  Until then, I'm at the
mercy of the module writers' poor C coding techniques.

Thanks for everyone's help.  All of the issues I had were competently
addressed to my satisfaction, despite the occasional, and to be
expected, fanboy flame here and there by one or two.  I do think we can
move on to other topics as this one has had much more "play" than I
anticipated.

Thanks again!

Rich