Another WiFi question...

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 02:57:28 UTC 2005

On 7/2/05, radioact1ve <radioact1ve at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hey Jonathan. Thanks for the reply.
>
> > What is the output of "iwconfig"?  (You can mask out the WEP key)  My
> > first guess is maybe you need to set the encryption mode to "open"
> > instead of "restricted"
> > # iwconfig wlan0 key open
> > Can you configure it and get it to work after boot?
>
>  All I get when I do that is:
>  ------------------------------------
>  Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
>      SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
>  ------------------------------------
>
>  I did a google before I replied and all I could find was that it was a
>  "harmless" error. Only thing is that I don't know if it worked or not.
>  I did put my ap on "open" and it still didn't work. things just keeps
>  getting worse. 8)

Hmm, okay, I don't think we are on the same page here.  If you turn
off WEP (different from the "open" option) then you need to issue:
# iwconfig wlan0 key off
to turn off WEP for the card.  There are two types of authentication
used for WEP: restricted and open.  If your AP is set for open, then
you need to set your card to that, and vice-versa.  So let's get
everything together here.  Turn off WEP on your AP and make sure you
have no WEP key set for your card.  Once you associate, then you can
turn WEP back on and set the key and mode like:
# iwconfig wlan0 key open XXX...
(or change open to restricted if your AP is set to that).

> > Any reason you are running the 32-bit version?  Make sure you have the
> > 32-bit Windows drivers (yes, there are 64-bit drivers and they work
> > with 64-bit Linux and ndiswrapper :)).
>
> Just my experience with 64 Linux hasn't been good. I have tried
> fedora, suse, and ubuntu, all of them 64. they last a while and after
> that wierd things start to happen. Gnome screws up, programs don't
> run, icons on the desktop change to other program's icons. I don't
> know I'm just staying away from it for now. And yup, they're the

Strange, I've not had any problems.  Fedora has been rock solid for
me.  I do tend to use Windows more than Linux, though, but I used FC2
a lot when I first got it.

> 32-bit drivers. Got them straight from my xp partition.

Hmm, that could be a problem.  There are particular drivers that work
best with ndiswrapper.  Check out the ndiswrapper site and find the
drivers that it points to and try them.  That could be the reason you
are getting the above error.

> I have been able to get ndiswrapper to work on the 64 linux. It was
> much easier than what I'm going through now. ;) Last time was follow
> instructions and all done. I don't know whats going on now....

Oh, one more thing, have you checked that the wireless is not turned
off?  I guess in 32-bit you still get a light when it has power, but
in 64-bit, the light only blinks when it TX or RX.  Makes it quite
hard to tell if it is on or off...

> thanks again  Jonathan, maybe we can do this thing. I'm going to keep googling.

Hope this helps.
Jonathan