FC3 gnome-volume-control broken

Bill R. Williams brwilliams at chartertn.net
Sun Jul 3 02:57:40 UTC 2005

System:
Linux 2.6.11-1.35_FC3 #1 Mon Jun 13 00:52:08 EDT 2005 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Somewhere along the line my gnome-volume-control stopped working.
It *was* working in FC3  and I seldom mess with it unless I'm doing something
which requires the mixer -- like recording from an LP!
Which means I have no idea what/when it got broken.  (Perhaps an
update?  I've about given up using SElinux; seems like every update to
selinux-policy-targeted kills something and I have to turn it off!)
Sorry, got off on a tangent, there.

Using the speaker icon on my task bar is futile:
	Attempting move the slider -- it just reverts to BOTTOM.
	Attempting to R-Click->Open Volume Control gets an error box
	which says:
		Sorry, no mixer elements and/or devices found.

The sound works!
Furthermore, alsamixer works.  aumix/xaumix work.
Somewhere along the line Gnome has lost the ability to "see" my sound
devices.  Anybody else seen this or have any clues?

My built-in sound card Driver: snd-intel8x0
According to Hardware Browser:
	nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97 Controller (MCP)

AlsaMixer v1.0.6 (which sees *all* the goodies) says:
Card:	NVidia nForce2
Chip:	Realtek ALC650F