FC4 Boot Log

Rob Kettle robk at fisher.co.uk
Sun Jul 3 07:08:36 UTC 2005

Hi,

I do indeed refer to /var/log/boot.log

Prior to upgrading to FC4 from FC3 all my startup and shutdown messages
appeared so it was easy to see where problems had occured. Now nothing
appear sat all.

I have read somewhere that boot.log messages have been removed to be
replaced by something 'better'. This is not very helpful right now and
there is no indication of when the 'something better' is coming along.

Is there anyway to get these messages working again or am I stuck until
Redhat release the 'something better' ?

Thanks
Rob

Christopher K. Johnson wrote:

> Rob Kettle wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> anyone know how to get the Boot Log working in FC4 ? Seems it's
>> intentionally disabled but with no alternative.
>>

> What do you mean by boot log?
> If you mean seeing the messages instead of gui display during boot
> then remove the 'rhgb quiet' from kernel arguments in
> /boot/grub/grub.conf
>
> If you just mean you want to be able to look afterward at what those

> messages were - they should be in /var/log/messages and
/var/log/dmesg
> after booting.
>
> ckj

I believe the reference is to /var/log/boot.log - I have four -
boot.log boot.log.1 boot.log.2 and boot.log.3 - My last messages are
from June 17th and June 19th in all four logs. The boot.log and
boot.log.3 are empty.  Boot.log.1 has a few messages from the 19th and

boot.log.2 from the 17th.

Jim

--
If you think the problem is bad now, just wait until we've solved it.
		-- Arthur Kasspe

CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVILEGED INFORMATION

IMPORTANT: This message is intended for the addressee only and is privileged
and confidential.  If you are not the addressee, then please DO NOT read, copy
or distribute it, but reply to the sender that you received it in error and
delete it.

Thank you.

Fisher Scientific U.K., Limited.

Registered Office: