Fedora Download Page Useless

David Fletcher fm_maillists at ntlworld.com
Sun Jul 3 10:25:05 UTC 2005

On Sunday 03 Jul 2005 10:26, Vytas Valas wrote:
> I went to the trouble of downloading the DVD iso file
> for 32 bit systems. The webpage says to use a program
> called shalsum to check the download. There is NO
> PLACE AT ALL on the download page or anywhere else I
> can see to find the shalsum program to check the
> download prior to trying to burn it to a DVD disk. I
> doubt I am alone in feeling mislead by the RedHat
> people when their webpage says use a program which is
> NOT available.
>
> Well, I was interested in trying Linux but if the very
> download page is this useless then I can only guess
> the rest of the online "support" must be just as bad.
> Why tell downloaders to use a program you don't make
> available for download???????
>
> Vytas

Vytas,

Firstly, it is widely considered to be BAD MANNERS TO SHOUT on mailing lists
where others try to help you.

Secondly, I think that the posting of messages such as yours is highly
disrespectful to other members of the list.

Thirdly, it is good practice to try to help yourself before requesting help
from any mailing list, not just ours. I happen to be running Fedora Core 3,
which already has sha1sum installed. Typing "man sha1sum" at a shell prompt
tells you how to use it. However I assume you are still running something
like XP. If, instead of being abusive to a great team of highly talented
people, you had taken what I would consider to be the obvious approach to
solving your problem and put the search string "sha1sum windows" into Google,
you would have found loads of links to software downloads and help pages on
the subject.

Fourthly, if you do manage to sum check and burn the DVD iso, you will
probably come across the same kernel panic installer problem as I did. To
save you the trouble of doing another Google search, here is the Google
search string:-
site:redhat.com/archives/fedora-list kernel panic install FC4

and here is the solution to the problem:-
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-June/msg02445.html

After helping him with this, and advising him on the package selections, my
ten year old son successfully installed Fedora Core 4 on the new PC I built
for him. So it can't be all that difficult.

I hope I have made my point, and that we can look forward to some of your more
constructive postings to this list in future.

Dave Fletcher

--
Registered Linux user number 393408