FC3 gnome-volume-control broken

flp magicus at snet.net
Sun Jul 3 10:57:37 UTC 2005

Bill R. Williams wrote:

> Linux 2.6.11-1.35_FC3 #1 Mon Jun 13 00:52:08 EDT 2005 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>
> Somewhere along the line my gnome-volume-control stopped working.
> It *was* working in FC3  and I seldom mess with it unless I'm doing something
> which requires the mixer -- like recording from an LP!
> Which means I have no idea what/when it got broken.  (Perhaps an
> update?  I've about given up using SElinux; seems like every update to
> selinux-policy-targeted kills something and I have to turn it off!)
> Sorry, got off on a tangent, there.
>
> Using the speaker icon on my task bar is futile:
> 	Attempting move the slider -- it just reverts to BOTTOM.
> 	Attempting to R-Click->Open Volume Control gets an error box
> 	which says:
> 		Sorry, no mixer elements and/or devices found.

When that happened here I found that (from your home directory) if you:

1. rm .gnome2/gnome-volume-control

2. click on the volume control and it works again.

I have no indication WHY this changes things as IIRC the file that is
(re)generated appears to be identical to the one erased in bot permissions and
content.

HTH

ciao,
furlan

--

Links: http://del.icio.us/furlan

Home:  http://flprim.us/index.html

What I look forward to is continued immaturity followed by death.
-- Dave Barry